St. Anthony East Neighborhood Association
Monday, April 26, 2010
Webster School Room 116
In Attendance: Susan Burns, Sylvia Radford, Jeremy Wieland, Taras Karkoc, Jana Huffman, Kristi MacKay, Thea Neal, Taryn Runck, Joe Horan, Diane Hofstede, Robin Russell, Tom Hoch, Claryese Nelson, Mark Jensen, Bob Margle, Sally Grand
Vice President – Susan Burns
– Meeting called to order at 7:03pm.
– Sylvia Radford made a motion to accept the March minutes. Taras Karkoc seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report – Taras Karkoc
– $2000.00 check was received from CPED.
– Tree Trust has been hired to maintain the Community Commons Park. Their price of $160 per two weeks is significantly cheaper than Streiff Lawn Care.
– Checks were also made out to Do Good Biz, Beth Van de Walker and Quest.
– Susan Burns will file a claim with conciliation court regarding the bounced check from Streiff Lawn Care. This will cost $70.00. A motion to move forward with this claim was made by Claryese Nelson. Jana Huffman seconded the motion.
– Sylvia Radford made a motion to accept the treasurer’s report. Jana Huffman seconded the motion.
ALVA -Mark Jensen
– Mark Jensen made a presentation regarding a proposal to start a
– self governed school to be housed at Edison. This would be a Minneapolis Public School with union teachers, but would have autonomy from MPS rules such as graduation requirements and teacher prep time. The highschool would have an intensive arts focus. Mark Jensen is asking the board for a letter of support. Tom Hoch made a motion to recommend the school. Taras Karkoc seconded the motion.
NRP – Joe Horan
– A discussion was led by Joe Horan on NRP Phase I and II. He went
through SAE’s financial spreadsheet on where our money has been
spent and where there are still funds available. He also talked about
the changing future of NRP. Home improvement loans in the future will go through Joe’s office.
Northeast Farmer’s Market -Robin Russell and Thea Neal
– The market’s non-profit status will most likely go through in July. There
will be new programs this year including a children’s tent with food related activities. SAENA is being asked to support the market with a sponsorship. A motion was made to support the market with a $175.00 donation. Jana Huffman seconded the motion.
Community Commons Park – Jana Huffman
– Jeremy Weiland will chair a subcommittee to determine the needs of
keeping the park clean. Several garbage cans need to be purchased.
Housing Compliance Issues – Diane Hofstede
– The use of magic marker, tape or spray paint is not acceptable for
– A number of repairs have been taken care of on Adams Street NE after
citations were issued.
STAWNO/BF NELSON – Bob Margle and Sally Grand
– A brief presentation was made regarding the city’s various plans to update
park land in the BF NELSON/STAWNO neighborhood. SAENA was asked to support their vision of keeping the land natural. Tom Hoch made a motion to support their vision. Jeremy Weiland seconded the motion.
Meeting Adjourned: 8:32pm