St. Anthony East Neighborhood Association
Community and Board Meetings
Monday, January 24, 2011
Logan Park Recreation Center
Present: Jana Huffman, Susan Burns, Taras Karkoc, Sylvia Radford, Andrea Stelljes, Clareyse Nelson, Sean O’Neil, Inspector Bryan Schaefer, Council Member Diane Hofstede, Blaine Muyres, Lisa Brock, Jacqui Klicka, Andy Skeels, Joseph Kourie
Vice President Jana Huffman called the meeting to order at 7:06 p.m.
Community Meeting Reports
- Inspector Bryan Schafer gave the CARE meeting update. He discussed crime stats in NE Minneapolis. Part 1 crimes rose citywide by .77% but violent crime was reduced by 5.24%.
- Inspector Schafer reported on the 2PAC meeting. Both Part 1 crimes and violent crimes rose by 4.16% and 7.11% respectively but are still down over a two-year period.
- Council Member Diane Hofstede discussed the Northeast Strategic Partnership Group, the 3rd Ward fest, and the 2011 Historic Resource Survey. She invited us to provide input on what he think should be considered historic and what are neighborhood priorities are.
- Susan Burns conducted the greetings to the landlords, asking what we can do to help their businesses. Jacqui Klicka and Joseph Kourie introduced themselves and discussed their properties. Lisa Brock suggested we hold a landlord forum and said home improvement loans are an attractive incentive for landlords. The importance of proper rental license and tenant screening procedure was discussed. Coucil Member Hofstede suggested strategic partnership to address property issues.
- Sean O’Neil discussed the ongoing effort to promote the CEE energy reduction workshop, the Phase I safety street light petition, and the most recent SAENA newsletter.
Board Meeting called to order at 8:12
- Andrea Stelljes said that we make sure to use first and last names. Sylvia Radford moved to accept minutes; Taras Karkoc seconded.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Taras Karkoc discussed the funds in our various accounts and brought up the remaining Citizen Participation Funds and how we should use it. It was raised that we should use the funds to pay Beth VanDeWalker and door knocking temps. Jana Huffman moved to accept and Sylvia Radford seconded.
- Policing Plan
- Susan Burns presented the 2011 Policing Plan. Discussion took place regarding how problem properties are defined. Clareyse Nelson moved to accept Policing Plan; Sylvia Radford seconded and the motion passed.
- CPP Approval
- Susan Burns informed that the CPP submission had been approved by the NCR and NCEC. Sylvia suggested that we change “Plant Give-A-Way” to the grammatically correct “Plant Give Away”.
- Other Business
- Susan Burns discussed approving increased hours for Sean O’Neil. Taras Karkoc moved to increase hours from 15 per week to 24 per week until end of February; Jana Huffman seconded and the motion passed.
- Jana Huffman presented options for new logo design and reminded board about promotional materials.
Meeting Adjourned at 8:48 pm