Over 12,000 households in the Phase 1 roll-out area received their green organics recycling carts this fall. All Solid Waste & Recycling customers who sign up to participate in the organics recycling program by February 1st will receive their organics carts beginning in April this spring.
City crews already have over 20,000 organics carts to deliver in the Phase 2 areas of the City. To prepare, the delivery lists have to be printed and reviewed beginning in February. If you sign up after the February 1, 2016 deadline, you’ll still get your cart in 2016; it just might not be until July or August.
As of December 14, 2015, 34,015 households have signed up for organics recycling, or just about 32% of the city’s solid waste and recycling customers.
NEW: Certain materials are no longer accepted in your organics cart.
In November 2015, Minnesota composting facility representatives informed city and county metro staff that there are items they no longer accept for composting at their facilities. These items include:
- Dryer lint: The compost facilities have found that dryer lint often contains high levels of synthetic material. Please place dryer lint and dryer sheets in the garbage.
- Plastic-lined paper products that are not certified compostable: These items leave micro-plastics in the soil that is then transported and used all around the state, potentially having a harmful impact on our ecosystem if gone unchecked.
- Chinese food containers
- Ice cream tubs
- Hot beverage paper cups (coffee cups)
- To-go containers
- Colored paper plates or paper plates with designs on them
- Fast food wrappers
- Butcher paper/wrap
- Paper boats, often used at ball-games, food trucks and fairs.
All paper cups, plates, boats, and to-go containers with a lining must be BPI or Cedar Grove certified compostable to be accepted in the organics. You can verify if an item is certified compostable by seeing if the item is listed in BPI’s Certified Compostable Product Catalog.
If you haven’t signed up for your organics cart yet, sign up now by contacting Solid Waste and Recycling at 612-673-2917 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday or [email protected]. For more information visit: www.minneapolismn.gov/organics